As promised here is the list of favorite books you, Dear Readers, have read to your children. The last five books listed are my contribution.
- Journeys Through Bookland edited by Charles Sylvester
- The Bible
- Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
- Narnia books by C. S. Lewis
- Dominic by William Steig
- The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
- Winnie the Pooh series by A. A. Milne,
- Church Mice series by Graham Oakley
- Cheaper By the Dozen
- The Bobbsey Twins
- The Berenstain Bears by Jan and Stan Berenstain
- Serendipity Books published by Grolier Enterprises, Inc.
- The Story of Little Black Sambo, a children’s book by Helen Bannerman
- Are You My Mother by P. D. Eastman
My son always clamoured to have The Story of Little Black Sambo read to him because he enjoyed the colorful art work and how the lions turned to melted butter at the end because of their conceit and jealousy. A good story with good life lessons that, sadly, was eventually declared racist because of its title and character.
The Serendipty Series was a gift from a grandmother. These were another big bedtime favorite and again, good moral lessons taught.
I hope you enjoy the list. I look forward to reading many of these to future grandchildren, as God wills.