The app I like best on my iPad is “Zite.” It is a personalized magazine for iPads and iPhones which gets smarter as you use it. You can customize the sections to many different subjects. My latest obsessions are DIY, Embroidery and Crafts.
- Tip Junkie shared free handbag patterns! Someone needs to lengthen the day so I can get to the crafty, fun stuff before the sun goes down and I collapse into bed!
- I really appreciated The Art of Manliness’ guide on how to patch a hole in the wall. We’ve had several of them over the years and while the Hubster has this down pat, I do not! A handy thing to know how to do.
- Creative Jewish Mom’s May 3rd post on how to crochet a rug from sheets is by and far my most favorite creative upcycle project! There is a link on the article on how to use old t-shirts for crochet projects which I plan on attempting sometime soon!
There is one magazine section which causes more irritation than it does inspiration, but I read it anyway. Why? Because it helps me be a better Christian by teaching me to love and treat others as I want to be loved and treated. Sadly, I learn by doing the opposite of what some of the featured articles show. Here are a couple of examples:
- Pastor Sean Harris says said that “gay tendencies in young children should be squashed like a cockroach” and “if the parents see their sons acting like girls, fathers should ‘give them a good punch. When your daughter starts acting too butch, you reign her in, you’re going to act like a girl and walk like a girl and talk like a girl and smell like a girl, and that means you’re going to be beautiful and you’re going to be attractive and you’re going to dress yourself up.'” Continue reading here.
Now dear readers, I am not an advocate for gay marriage in the Church. Not at all. But for an authority figure (a pastor) to advocate this type of action or discipline to change the child is nothing short of ridiculous, IMHO. Teaching a child, loving them and guiding them in prayer to bring their purpose to flower in accordance with God’s will is what is incumbent upon a parent. But bullying them will not get the attention you hope for Pastor Sean!
Which leads me to the next article, which is about bullying.
- Christian Teens Say Gay Activist Made Girls Cry: Let’s just get this out of the way…that’s just a stupid title for the article! The jist of the article is about high school journalists attending a national conference on journalism. Arrowhead Christian Academy journalist students were among the attendees. Okay. So far, so good. The speaker, Dan Savage, the “wife” in a gay marriage was there to promote his anti-bullying campaign. He used a curious tactic…bullying Christians. So what did the Arrowhead students do? Get up and walked out, to which Mr. Savage, an adult mind you, chastised the students and called them “pansy-assed.”
There’s part of me that wants to applaud the students for having the guts to walk out. But I also kind of wish they had stayed put, raised their defiant chins a bit and took copious notes in order to write an article or op-ed piece for their local newspaper about Mr….er….Mrs. Savage’s bullying during his anti-bullying campaign.
Bully that Mrs. Savage.